Sunday, September 17, 2006

Things I did in the NICU


This is our first family picture!! I didn't get to see Eric again for 13 hours. All I could see was a foot and lots of blankets.



Eric is in his isolette/incubator just 2 days after he was born. He had some jaundice so here, he is under the bililight. He only stayed under the light for a day or two. This is my arm and Mike took this cute picture! We quickly discovered that Eric has my webbed feet!! The same toes on each foot are webbed, one foot more than the other, just like mine!!!

The blue thing around his other foot was an oxygen saturation sensor. It lit up red and he looked like ET! The thing around the blue sensor is his ID bracelet. They would scan this every time they came to give him medicine and formula. This way, they didn't give him someone else's stuff! Mike and I had the same bracelets and we had to be checked before we could hold him at first in the NICU. Once they got to know us, we didn't have to worry with them!

We always had to scrub in and then we could go visit the baby! Mike always raced me to the sink to get to Eric first! We missed him so much when we went home for the night!



This is Eric right after he was born. The blue and clear tubes on his nose are called a CPAP. This held his lungs open so he could breath easier. We were so happy that his lungs worked very well, and he got to take this off after a day.

The snow googles are for his eyes when he went to the "tanning bed". They protected him from the bililight when he had jaundice!


This was the first time I got to meet Eric! It was 13 hours after I had him! So it was about 4 in the morning. He was so little and I thought I had to put him back quick, so I only held him for a minute or two. I didn't know I could have held him for longer!

I couldn't believe that I was a mommy and Mike was a daddy so soon! We were not prepared to have Eric come so early and in Oklahoma instead of Minnesota! I am glad it happened in Oklahoma though. That way I had my family and friends close by to help me out!

No comments: